Get up and goals! Global education time: an international network of learning and active schools for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
What it is
Get up and goals! is a project financed by the European Union from 2017 to 2020 aiming to support the implementation of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations 2030 Agenda in the European schools.
Get up and goals! is coordinated by the Italian CISP and it involves 12 European countries: Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, and the United Kingdom. Key actors are NGOs, Universities and Local Authorities.
The target audience
- 120 schools.
- 900 teachers directly involved.
- 9600 students aged 11 to 19.
- 20,000 teachers reached via a specific awareness campaign.
- Hundreds of families, communities and Local Authorities, and the general public.
The project is consistent with Sustainable Development Goal 4.7:
"By 2030, ensure that all learners acquire the knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development, including, among others, through education for sustainable development and sustainable lifestyles, human rights, gender equality, promotion of a culture of peace and non-violence, global citizenship and appreciation of cultural diversity and of culture’s contribution to sustainable development”.
Get up and goals! intends to promote and test new educational paths by including four cross-cutting topics of the 2030 Agenda within the subjects taught at school. They are:
The approach chosen in the production of the materials and in the whole project is the one of Global Citizenship Education (GCE), adopted also by UNESCO , whose cornerstones, shared by Get up and goals!, are:
- Attention to the great collective questions/issues/problems faced by humanity nowadays.
- Focus on links between the global and local dimensions.
- Attention to the plurality of point of views.
- Overcoming eurocentrism and using an interdisciplinary approach.
- Connecting past events to present issues.
- Attention to the student/learner's point of view.
- Using interactive and participatory methodologies in the classroom.
- Promoting students’ responsible action within their communities for a more peaceful and sustainable world.
- Teacher trainings on the 2030 Agenda and on global citizenship education.
- Trainings and exchange of good practices and interdisciplinary practices among teachers, at a national and international level.
- Experimentation in 120 European schools of Teaching and Learning Units and of a global geo-history textbook on topics related to SDGs.
- Awareness actions on SDGs aimed at local communities and carried out by students from the schools involved in the project.
- An engagement campaign aimed at all European teachers who wish to approach Education for Global Citizenship and will be able to use the teaching materials available online free of charge in 12 languages.
Get up and goals! provides teachers of different disciplines with innovative teaching resources to use in their classrooms:
- The deepening of four global themes: climate change, gender inequalities, international inequalities and global migrations.
- Methodologies consistent with UNESCO Global Citizenship Education.
- Teaching resources in 12 languages, usable by individuals or teams of teachers; TLUs; a global geo-history textbook produced by university professors of global history; tools for the formative and summative evaluation of students.
- Self-assessment tools for schools (SATs), to monitor the effectiveness of Global Citizenship Education activities in terms of: achieving learning outcomes, school ethics, intercultural sensitivity, sustainable energy use, etc.